Monday, March 30, 2015

Light at the end of the tunnel

264 Days. That's how long its been since my last post. Nearly 9 months. The reason I haven't posted is because I really haven't had anything to say to about running. When I'm injured, I can barely stand to talk about running never mind write blogs about it. Even looking at race results pains me. I know it's narcissistic, but hopefully some of my fellow running junkies can relate.

During the first few months of my injury, I wasn't all that upset about it. I wanted some time off to enjoy the summer, and I coped with the hiatus from running better than I typically do. However, I grew complacent as time went on. My injury wasn't getting any better, so I put it in the back of my mind and tried not to think about it. I ate too much, excised too little, and didn't give my heel the attention it needed. As a result, I find myself knocked back to a fitness level of about zero. I'm slightly better off than I was when I started running again back in 2011 but not by much.

I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel though. In February, I began to come out of my hibernation. I started to care for my foot by wearing a Night Splint while I slept and doing stretches. By March, I was able to test my foot out on a few runs. The process was slow as I was only able to run 4 miles every other day. For the first 2 weeks, I was worried that my foot wasn't ready. I woke up every morning stiff/sore, and my heel threatened to fall back into disrepair. I finally saw some hope on Thursday 3/26 when I did what seemed like the dumbest thing I could do.... I ran a race.

To be continued.....

1 comment: