Monday, April 6, 2015

Saturday 4/4/15

This run was Struggle City. My legs felt better, but that was the least of my worries. On Friday night, I took the Amtrak to NYC then caught another train out to Long Island which is where I spent Easter. When we got to Long Island, we went to a local bar to meet up with some friends. The bar was packed due to the holiday weekend, but the band was pretty good and played a wide variety of popular music from different decades and genres. The night went late with continuous rounds and ended when someone decided it was a good idea to buy a round of shots for everyone. Needless to say, I woke up the next morning fairly hungover and sore after sleeping on an air mattress.

Even in my groggy state, the opportunity to run was too good to pass up. It was a sunny 50 degrees, and there was a state park nearby. However, there were also 30 mph winds. For the first 3 miles, I meandered through neighborhoods, as I tried to find a runable section of Belmont Lake State Park. Once I found the lake itself, I was able to locate a nice running path that circled the lake and alternated between dirt roads and paved paths. Unfortunately, I was really struggling by that point. The wind was kicking off the lake hard, and my stomach was expressing its discomfort due to my choices the previous night. During this section, I dropped from 6:30 pace to 6:50s, and when it was time to head back around mile 6, I was strongly considering just walking it in. Thankfully, I caught a tailwind with 2 miles to go and was able to bring the pace back down to 6:30s. Overall, I slogged through 8.25 miles in 55:02.

No comments:

Post a Comment