Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Thursday 4/9/15

Rough run today but not for the reasons I was expecting. I didn't want to run on the treadmill again, so I committed to running outside despite the weather. I was starting to feel better from my brief sickness, but the weather wasn't inviting at 39 degrees with a mix of wind and rain. I felt surprisingly good for the first two miles. I clipped off two 6:20s which felt nice and easy. I was actually starting to enjoy myself when things took a bad turn. Literally. As I was coming down off of a cobblestone bridge in the Esplanade, I tried to turn a step too early, and my feet came out from underneath my as I lost grip on the downward sloping and wet cobbles. I hit the ground hard in front of a group of people doing cross fit and tried to get up quickly as if nothing had happened. I kept running for a few hundred meters before I stopped to assess the damage. I scraped up my face, knee and hands pretty good, but my Garmin Forerunner 220 took the worst of it. I shattered the screen and took a few chucks out of the side. For the rest of the run, I couldn't get it to go back into the right mode and feared it might be completely lost. After that, I was feeling pretty dejected. I considered turning around and calling it a day, but I ended up finishing off the 8 mile out and back. I slowed down quite a bit after the fall but don't know the exact time or splits because my watch was on the fritz. 8 miles in about 53 mins.

After the run, I ended up getting my watch to work. The damage seems superficially. I'll just have to look it to what their warranty covers and how much repairs cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment