Sunday, June 1, 2014

Sunday 6/1 - Speed Workout

Didn't get up quite as early as I hoped today. Made it to the Charlestown track by 10am though, and luckily, there weren't any games going on in the infield. There were 4 elementary school track kids doing a workout with their coach, but they were really cool. I talked to them a bit during my recoveries. They were doing repeat 100s and working on their turns.

The weather was perfect at 65 and Sunny with no wind. I will admit it felt warmer than it was with no clouds, but it wasn't an issue. After a 2.25 mile warm up at 5:50 pace, my workout plan for today was 5 x 1 Mile with full recovery of 3.5 minute rest. When I do this workout, I usually just run 1600s, but I decided to do full miles today. So, for lap splits, I just counted the extra 9 meters all in the first lap since I usually start too fast anyway. For pace, I wanted to shoot for 71 seconds laps and 4:45 mile pace. Per usual, my splits were all over the place. During the 1st repeat, I started with two 69 second laps before finding the pace and finishing in 4:40. I hit my marks all the way through the 2nd mile for a 4:45. I felt good at that point, but I could tell I was going to pay the price for starting off to fast in the 1st mile. For my 3rd and 4th miles, I backed off to 72-73 second laps, and pushed the last lap to finish in 4:47 and 4:49. For the final repeat, I really wanted to bring it back down to 4:45. I was feeling fairly tired by that point and didn't think I could hold 71s the whole time. So I started off with 72s and made up the difference in the last lap to finish on pace with a 4:45. (4:40, 4:45, 4:47, 4:49, 4:45)

My pacing was inconsistent during this workout, but it averaged out to the goal pace. So while it would have been nice to run evenly throughout, I was happy overall. I ran some good splits for my current fitness level, and it felt like a very solid effort. I could definitely feel the effects of the workout during the 3.25 mile cooldown as I slowly made my way home at ancient marathoner pace. I think the average pace was around 8 minute pace. Definitely the slowest miles I've run over the last 2 years, but I didn't see any need to pick up the pace on the cooldown. 10.5 miles all together.

I also got out for an easy 15 mile bike ride later in the day. I had been sitting around doing a movie marathon all day after my workout and was feeling a bit lazy. I have also been itching to get back on the bike anyway. It was such a nice day that I couldn't resist. It wasn't much of a workout anyway. More of just a shake out. Felt really good after, so I did a quick core workout as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment