Monday, July 20, 2015

Tuesday 7/14/15 - 5x1K, 2x800, 4x200 Track Workout

After work, I took the T over to the Madison Park track behind the Reggie Lewis Center for practice with the GBTC. Everyone met in the parking lot, and we chatted for a bit before heading out for a 3.75 mi warm up at 7:10 pace which included a quick pit stop at the Reggie Lewis Center. Once we got back to the track, I did a few drills and joined up with a group doing the 10K workout which was 5 x 1K with 400m jogging rest, 2 x 800 with 200m jogging rest, then 4 x 200m with 200m jogging rest. Splits below.

1,000s: 2:59, 2:59, 3:01, 3:02, 3:02
800s: 2:26, 2:26
200s: 32, 32, 32, 32

After a couple of down days and coming into the workout feeling a bit off, I was pleased with the outcome. I was able to put in a solid effort and hit the splits I should be hitting right now. As far as splits go, the 1Ks and 800s weren't quite what was in the original workout plan, but after the first two 1Ks, they were part of my "adjusted workout" plan haha. There was another guy doing 1Ks to start his workout before switching to 600s to sharpen up as he gets ready for a race, so I decided to run my 1Ks with him. Unfortunately, he was looking to split 72 second quarters in those 1Ks which is faster than I should have been looking to do them, but if I didn't run with him, I'd be suck in no mans land. So, I decided to just go for it. We split 2:59s for the two 1Ks which weren't too bad. The small problem was that when he switched to 600s, I was left to finish up the last three 1Ks by myself. I backed off slightly for those so that I would actually be able to finish the workout, but I tried to keep them pretty close to 3:00.

The 1Ks took a lot out of me, and I knew I wouldn't have the strength left to pick up the pace in the 800s as originally planned for this workout. Instead, I decided to try and hold the 1K pace I had been putting in. Not a great substitute, but I was able to do it. Once I got into the 200s, I started catch my second wind, and I felt pretty good for the remainder of the workout.


After the workout, I joined a few other members of the team for a mile+ cool down on the track before I made my way back to my apartment at ancient marathoner pace. 15 miles on the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment