Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Tuesday 7/7/15 - 4x800 + 8x400 track workout

After work, I took the T over to the Madison Park track behind the Reggie Lewis Center for practice with the GBTC. Everyone met in the parking lot, and we chatted for a bit before heading out for a 3.25 mi warm up at 7:00 pace which included a quick pit stop at the Reggie Lewis Center. Once we got back to the track, I did a few drills and joined up with a group during the 10K workout which was 4 x 800m followed by 6-8 x 400m with 200m jogging rest in between. Splits below.

800s: 2:25, 2:26, 2:26, 2:26
400s: 72, 72, 71, 71, 70, 70, 72, 72

Overall, I was very pleased with the effort. I was a bit disappointed that the workout was so similar to last week, but as many of the guys are prepping for Club Nationals this weekend, I don't think they wanted to change things up too much. Regardless, it was a solid workout, and for me, it varied from last because I didn't have Adam to run with. He opted to run 1000s at an easier effort so that he wouldn't take anything away from the upcoming race this weekend. He ran just off my shoulder for the first 800, but after that, I was more or less alone during the repeats. Thankfully, I did have a few guys to run with on 200m rest. Erik Hinrichsen (coming of a great race at the Loon Mountain Race which served as the NE Championship this year) and Ian Neill (who ran the Boston Marathon this year and is prepping for the Chicago Marathon) were both doing the 10K workout as well, and they caught up and jogged with me during the rests so.

This workout took quite a bit out of me, and I was very happy that I was able to maintain the splits without anyone else to share the pace load with. I goofed up a bit on the last two 400s, but I wasn't all that worried about it. I had been considering finishing my workout after 6 x 400 which is why I ramped up to 70 second quarters for repeats 5 and 6. After that, Erik ended his workout, and I was on the verge of ending mine when I realized that Ian was going to follow through with the last 2 400s. I decided to join him, but I also made sure that I didn't push beyond my limit. I couldn't maintain 2 more 70 second splits, so I backed off to 72s. When I finished up, I was really glad that I did the final 2.

After the workout, we joined a few other members of the team for a mile cool down on the track before I made my way back to my apartment at ancient marathoner pace. I followed the same route as last week which goes down Tremont, cuts through Bay Bay to Boylston, over to the Commons, then on to Faneuil Hall enroute to the North End. 13.25 miles on the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment