Thursday, May 14, 2015

Monday 5/11/15

Fair warning: the below post is more than slightly self loathing. Just one of those days...

Made some poor running decisions today. I ate way too much throughout the day which wouldn't usually be an issue, but as I am trying to shed those pounds I put on during my hiatus, it made me feel like I needed to get out for a decent run and burn some calories. The original plan coming into today was to replace my off day with an easy 6-8 miles since my heel had been feeling so good lately. After eating so much, I upped the mileage to 10. I hadn't felt anything in my heel for about a week, and I was starting to think it was more or less behind me....

Second mistake was switching my training shoes. I figured that I would start phasing out my current training shoes a bit early given my current position with foot problems, and I also decided to move away from the Lunarglide series. I've been training exclusively in the Nike Lunarglide series since 2009 after I fell in love with the original Lunarglide. However, I've been less and less impressed with the series since Nike completely changed the shoe structure from the Lunarglide 3 to the Lunarglide 4. It might as well have been a completely different shoe. I stuck with them though, and it has actually been on the Lunarglide 4 and 5 that I've done the majority of my training since I started racing again in 2012. The pair of Lunarglide 3s I've been training in recently is the last pair I stock piled back in 2012 when I found out they were making the big switch between 3 and 4.

Anyway, enough about my love for the Lunarglide 3s. I decided to switch training shoes. Not a poor decision by itself, but I wasn't very smart about the process. First, I left my current trainers back in New Hampshire before I had even tried a run in the new trainers. I didn't have room in my bag to bring them back and didn't want to carry them. I figured I would just run on the new trainers for 2 weeks and grab the old trainers when I went back to NH for Redhook. Second, I didn't break in the new trainers at all before my run. Not usually a huge deal, but as I am having foot issues, I definitely should have. I also probably should have tested them out on a short run where I would be able to head back to my apartment and change shoes if I need to. Obviously, I wasn't that cautious and just took them out of a 10 miler straight out of the box.

I immediately felt like I had tied the right shoe too tight, but I didn't loosen it until I had to stop at a traffic light which didn't happen until about 5 miles into the run. I got in the mentality of "My feet just need to get used to the shoes. I'll keep going", and by the end of the run, the damage was done.

The third mistake was that I pushed the pace. I'm not sure what I was thinking. Maybe my mind was on the new pair of trainers or the fact that I was coming off a slow day and needed to pick up the pace to get a little of confidence back. Either way, I ended up getting after it a bit and splitting 6:0X throughout the run. 10.5 in 63:52.

To summarize: On a day that was supposed to be a slow, short, easy recovery day, I pushed the pace in a pair of new and untested trainers without easing back on the mileage at all. Brilliant. As payment for this ingenious idea, my heel is back to where it was a feel weeks ago.

I realize that I haven't talked about which shoes I decided to switch to. It's the Nike Pegasus 31. I just want to reserve my judgement on the shoes and not blame them for my poor decision making.



No comments:

Post a Comment