Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Tuesday 5/19/15

Got a late start today, so instead of running in the dark, I decided to hit the treadmill. Since I wasn't able to run during the winter, I didn't go through the treadmill cycle this year and get bored of it. The treadmill also gave me a chance to work some hills. I had pick-ups in mind for tomorrow, but this allowed me to get in a fairly good semi-workout today. Set the treadmill to 6:12 pace and started rolling. After two miles, I started throwing in a quarter mile "hill" every mile. The first "hill" was 4% grade, and I increased 1% for each repeat. After the 5th repeat (8%), I was spent. Going into it, I wasn't sure how many repeats I was going to do, but with my heart rate north of 175 and failing to drop below 170 in between repeats, I felt like 5 was a good stopping point. After the 8th mile, I slowed down quite a bit and went into cool down mode. My legs felt pretty good throughout, but my heel gave me trouble at times. I did stretching drills/yoga before and after, and I'm hoping that I'll start to see some improvement there if I get more consistent with this. 11 miles in 70:31.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Eric, I'm new on the run blogging scene but it's great to be able to follow your progress on here. Thanks for including me on your "Blogs I follow" too! It seems like you're getting some great work done-- keep it up and I'm sure you'll work past the heel and leg issues you've been having. For what little I've read in your blog over the past few weeks, I think wearing a heart rate monitor will help your training a ton. I've had great luck since training with primarily HR last year. Helped me judge effort on a whole new level. Good luck and I'm sure I'll see you (from the sidelines) at Runner's Alley/Redhook or MSD!

    ReplyDelete