Thursday, May 7, 2015

Wednesday 5/6/15

Really good run today. Great running weather at 70 degrees with a light cooling breeze, and I felt strong throughout the run. The plan was a 10 miler with pick ups, but instead of doing my normal 30 sec on/30 sec off or 1 min on/1 min off early in the run, I switched things up a bit. When I do pick ups 2 or 3 miles into the run, the 4 or so miles after the pick ups always turn into garbage miles. So, I decided to save to pick ups until mile 7. This meant I only had a mile and a half or so left in the run once the workout was done. It would also help me work on picking up the pace when my legs are tired.

The first 6 miles felt nice and relaxed at 6:20 pace. As I finished the 6th mile, I started right in on 4 x 2 minutes on / 1 minute off with goal paces of 5:10/6:10. I really wanted to shorten my rest period and try to make sure I didn't take it too easy on the rests which I tend to do. The first two pick ups felt amazing, and I didn't have any trouble hanging around 5:00 pace which surprised me. I could really feel the effort on the 3rd and 4th pick ups especially trying to keep the off pace at 6:10. I focused on trying to stay relaxed at speed, and I was able to get through it without any issues. Split 5:22 and 5:21 for those two miles. Although there wasn't much volume, I felt really good about these pick ups afterward. Didn't have any problems finishing off the run at training pace. Feeling very upbeat after this run since it went so much better than the pick ups I did 2 weeks ago. 10.5 in 64:32.

No comments:

Post a Comment