Friday, May 15, 2015

Tuesday 5/12/15

By Tuesday afternoon, my heel was feeling good enough to run, and I decided to give it a go. However, I wasn't convinced that it would hold up for an entire run, so I diverted from my standard route. Instead of doing a loop around the Charles, I headed to Charlestown and repeated a 1 mile loop near the high school which meant I was never more than 2 miles from my apartment. I figured that would allow me to head back if my heel gave me any issues.

I took things easy at about 6:20 pace and didn't have any issues for the first half of the run. Around mile 6 or 7, my legs started to tighten up which was odd because it hadn't happened once since I started running again in March. I felt good enough to continue, so I slowed the pace to 6:30 and carried on. About 9 and a half miles into the run, when I was on my way back to my apartment, my heel finally started to act up. It came on suddenly, and the pain was much sharper than usual. For a few seconds, I thought I would have to walk it in, but I managed to finish up as the pain eased slightly. 10.25 in 64:57. A ton of ice and stretching post run.

After falling down and smashing up my Garmin Forerunner 220, I decided to get a new Forerunner 620 which came in the mail today, and I was able to use it on the run.



It's extremely similar to the Forerunner 220 with the exception that it is touch screen and has a few added features. I also got the Heart Rate Monitor with it, so I will likely be messing around with that for the next few weeks. My heart rate during the run today was consistently around 150 +/- 2. By wearing both watches to test their accuracy/consistency (one on each arm), I also learned that my left arm runs much slower than my right arm haha. I've always known that I chicken wing my left arm a bit, but I was surprised how much it threw off the two watches (about 4 seconds per mile). My guess would be that the Tobin Bridge may have had something to do with this. A portion of the repeated loop was directly underneath the Tobin Bridge, so the watches may have been relying on cadence more than they usually would with a strong GPS signal.

No comments:

Post a Comment