Friday, May 2, 2014

New GPS watch and a quick training run to go with it

Thursday 5/1 - I picked up a Garmin Forerunner 220 and used it in my first training run. Previously, I was using a simple stop watch with mile markers measured out on my road bike. The mile markers ended up being almost exactly on, but being able to see the current pace on the GPS watch was pretty interesting. As a result, I ended up running a bit quicker than normal, but it's nice to stretch the legs from time to time especially on spring days in the mid 60s with the sun out and no wind. I did one of my normal training routes from the North End of Boston to a loop along the Charles River and an additional loop through Charlestown. This run is almost completely flat with only a few stops for traffic. 9.5 miles in 51:41.



A bit of a background on my current fitness level: I had a few injuries at the end of last summer and wasn't able to train at all from the beginning of December until the beginning of March. I spent most of March and April trying to find a rhythm and avoid old injuries. I have only really felt like I'm starting to get my legs underneath me in the last week or so. I hope to continue to rebuild my base and start working in speed work over the next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment