Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sunday 5/25

While back in New Hampshire, I decided to take advantage of the hills since the paths along the Charles don't offer any. I opted for one of the more difficult routes I ran in high school. My parents' house is situated in a very hilly section of town, so no matter what direction you run in, you'll be running hills throughout your run. The loop starts off downhill for the first 2 miles before climbing about 300ft over .75 miles in mile 3. Miles 4 and 5 give you a chance to recover with a steady 400ft drop over those 2 miles. From there, it's rolling hills until the last mile, and that last mile is a killer as you climb back up another 300ft. Total vertical gain for the run is about 800ft over 10.75 miles. For those who run hills regularly, this run probably wouldn't be all that bad, but for someone who doesn't get the opportunity to run hills very often, it can be a system shock.

Surprisingly, I felt pretty good today. I thought yesterday's track workout and the Useless Olympics which ended up going from 3pm-1am would have left me feeling sore and tired. However, that wasn't the case. I got up early feeling great, and I couldn't feel the workout in my legs at all. Overall, the run went well with the only difficulty coming on the final climb over the last mile, but I was able to make it through without too much of an issue. 10.75 miles in 62:54.

Useless Olympics Recap - We started off in the middle of the pack with 3rd in Bowling, 3rd in Mini Golf, and 2nd in Ladder Golf. This put us within striking distance of 2nd, but the 1st place team was pulling away after winning the first 3 events. We lost a bit of ground on the 2nd place team in the 4th event but made a big move during the next event: Darts. Going into the final event, we were a point out of 2nd place, and the competitive instincts were high all around. We finished just good enough to pull out the tie for 2nd overall. At that point, we were all a bit too tired to go into a tie breaker. Very long day but incredibly fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment