Sunday, May 11, 2014

Sunday 5/11 - Speed Workout

75 and Sunny with a decent breeze at the Spaulding High School track in Rochester, NH.

Today definitely ended up being a fitness test. Result? I’ve still got work to do. 2.25 mile warm up on the trails through the Pines near Spaulding at 6:20 pace before heading over to the track. For the workout last weekend, I just switched into my pair of Nike Flyknit Lunar 1+ which are about 8oz , but I decided to put on my New Balance MR1000 racing spikes today. While I like them, they’ve caused my toes to bleed on a few occasions. This isn’t really out of the ordinary with racing spikes and isn’t very painful, but it is a bit unsettling to look down in the middle of a workout and see blood seeping through the bright yellow outers.



The workout was a reverse ladder of Mile, 1200, 800, 400, 400, 800, 1200, Mile, and the 1st 1200 and last Mile were struggle city. The rest was 3 min, 2 min, 90 sec, 60 sec, 90 sec, 2 min, and I stayed fairly close to the goal pace of 71 sec per lap with the exception of the last mile. The real issue being that the first mile took a lot more out of me than I expected. It was the fastest mile I had run in a year, but I misjudged how much a 4:44 mile would take out of me. It was a big wake up call, and I didn’t feel comfortable in the workout until the 2nd 400. Overall, I wasn’t disappointed. The workout just made me realize that I’m not quite as far along as I thought. Splits were 4:44, 3:35, 2:23, 70, 70, 2:23, 3:35, 4:50. By the last mile, I could tell my pace would be a bit slow, but I was pretty happy to just finish up the workout without bailing. 3 mile cool down through the Pines at 7:30 pace before heading back to my parent’s house for a Mother’s Day lunch. 10.25 miles total.

No comments:

Post a Comment