Monday, May 5, 2014

Sunday 5/4 - Speed Workout

I finally felt ready for my first speed workout of the year this weekend. Three weeks ago, I did a few runs with pick-ups in the middle. Just 10 x 30 seconds on/30 seconds off with the on pace being a bit below 5 minute pace. I could tell that my legs weren't quite up for a full workout at that point, but after the solid week I had this week, I thought I'd give it a go and see how things turned out. I decided to do the workout on Sunday rather than Saturday because 1. the weather looked like it would be better on Sunday and 2. I knew I was going out Friday night. Unfortunately, Sunday ended up being the wrong choice. While the temperature wasn't an issue at 62 degrees, the wind had returned to the tune of 20+ miles per hour, and to me, there is no worse run than a speed workout on a windy day. The wind just always throws off my stride and demoralizes me. Plus, slower splits are never fun. Running a few quick splits can change a speed workout from bearable to satisfying.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this workout. My goal was to run a benchmark workout that I've done often in the past in order to judge my fitness and, hopefully, build some confidence. The workout plan was 12 x 400 with a split range of 66-67. After my first 400, I knew keeping it to 66 and 67 was out the window. Along with the 20+ mph wind down the back stretch, I also had a kids' lacrosse game to contend with. There were about 20 or so parents on each of the straightaways taking up the first four lanes. In retrospect, I should have just done the whole workout in lane 5, but apparently, I'm not that smart. Something about wanting to start and stop in the same place..... Anyway, I ran the turns in lane 1 and moved out to lane 5 on the straights. All in all, I doubt it really slowed me down that much, but worrying about slamming into the kids riding their bikes and scooters on the track may have.

2.25 mi warm up at 5:50 pace.
12 x 400 67-68-68-68-68-68-68-70-69-67-69-69
4.25 mi cool down at 6:20 pace
9.5 mi total

During the workout, I wasn't too happy with the splits I was running, but now that I've had some time to reflect, I think it could have been worse. My legs feel really good for the day after a workout, and while the pace was slower than I had hoped, I never felt like I was winded.

No comments:

Post a Comment