Thursday, May 8, 2014

Thursday 5/8

Today's run went much better than expected considering it was my first pre-work run of the year. I have found that I almost always race the best early in the morning, but that comes after waking up at least 2 hours before the race. When I try to roll out of bed and get out for a run within half an hour, it usually doesn't go all that well. I have some plans for after work today which will make it impossible to run then, so I had to pull myself out of bed at 6am and force myself to get out for a run. Once I get in the routine of morning runs, I really quite enjoy them. I just expect them to be slow and don't usually do a full length run. After hitting the snooze button a few times, I popped some bread in the toaster and sat down to watch TV for 10-15 minutes while I tried to build up the will power to actually follow through on going out for a full run. There really wasn't much on, and I settled for watching a rerun of skateboarding on the Dew Tour while eating my toast with strawberry jam. I pried myself off the couch, changed, and did a quick stretch. I was out the door by 6:30 and greeted with sun and a crisp temperature in the mid-50s.

During the first few miles of the run, the pace wasn't bad, but my legs felt stiff. It had already worked its way into my mind that I'd be writing about how I always end up running slow on morning training runs. However, as the run progressed, I remembered why I enjoy morning runs: the temps are a bit cooler, the college crew teams are out rowing along the Charles which is cool to watch, the run/bike paths aren't full of people, and there never seems to be as much wind. I think that picked up my spirits a bit, and I was pleased with the rest of the run as I held a decent pace without having to push the effort. 10.4 mi in 59:05.

No comments:

Post a Comment