Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Friday 6/5/15

Yesterday was the first time in 4 years that I've run with someone on a training run (a college runner visiting BU came up behind me at a traffic light and asked if I wanted to run together). Imagine my surprise this morning when I saw that I had a message on my blog about another runner in the North End looking for a training partner. Vasilis Kariolis, a 3 time winner of the Buffalo, NY edition of the J.P. Morgan Corporate Challenge, moved to the North End of Boston this spring and came across my blog post about last year's JPMCC in Boston as he was preparing to run the 2015 JPMCC in Boston next week. He decided to shoot me a message about running together, and before my run today, I replied back that I could always use some company on runs. If there are any other runners in the area looking for a training partner, definitely send me a message.

I headed out on the standard 11 mile loop around the Charles, and as I was heading passed North Station, I saw a runner who looked vaguely like the pictures I had seen of Vasilis when trying to figure out how to reply back to him. I thought there was no way things were going to work out that perfectly, but as I caught up, I became more sure. It turned out to be him, and we ended up running together. The pace was relaxed, and we chatted as we looped around the Charles. He was looking to finish his run by Coolidge Corner, and I decided to tag along for some city running. It's odd because while I live in the North End of Boston, I don't consider my runs true 'city runs' since I spend 80% of the run on the paths along the Charles River. I actually don't think I have run through the city during the last five years expect for the JPMCC last year.

After about 9 miles, I turned around and headed back. I decided to stick with the city run though and made my up Comm Ave to the Boston Common then on to the North End. While I wouldn't want to do this for every run, the change of scenery was nice. I need to branch out a bit more. 11.75 miles in 74:55.

I also tried out some new training shoes today! I feel like the Nike Pegasus 31 are a great shoe, but with my existing heel issue, they just aren't what I was looking for right now. I also had to resign myself to the fact that the Lunarglide series is a no go for me. I tried on a pair of the 6's and the 5's (which I've had multiple pairs of), and the arch just doesn't feel right anymore. I've been looking at a bunch of shoes over the last few weeks and ended up picking up a pair of Saucony Kinvara 5 today. I'm a bit concerned with how light they are, but the cushioning is great. We'll see how things go. They felt great during today's run.





No comments:

Post a Comment