Thursday, June 25, 2015

Tuesday 6/24/15 - 8 x 800 track workout

After two years of holding back from joining a track club, I decided it was finally time, and I joined the Greater Boston Track Club last week. Tonight was my first scheduled practice with the team, but unfortunately, the weather report wasn't really cooperating. All of the reports I looked at showed 100% chance of thunder storms and 20+ mph winds. So, I wasn't all that surprised when I learned that practice was cancelled. Although none of the coaches were going to the track, a few of the team members were going to give the workout a shot. I took a look outside at 6:00 and decided to head over to the Madison Park track behind the Reggie Lewis Center where GBTC holds their practices. I packed light and planned on running in the rain as long as the lightning held off. I assumed that the distance team did a group warm up, so rather than running to the track, I took the T to Ruggles and walked over.

I was there a bit early, and with the rain was holding off, I was optimistic that we'd be able to get a good workout in. I hung out around the track for a bit and did some stretching until the first members of the middle distance/sprinting group arrived. They let me know that the distance guys usually met in the parking lot before their workout. I jogged over but missed them. Not a big deal. I just did my own 2.5 mile warm up around the track. As I was warming up, I actually got a bit nervous. It has been such a long time since I've done a track workout in a group, and I was worried I was going to embarrass myself by having a bad workout or something. It didn't help that I had eaten to much during the day, and my stomach wasn't feeling great.

The distance guys came back from their warm up shortly after I finished mine. I introduced myself as the new guy, everyone was really nice as we chatted for a bit, then we got right into the workout. There were 7-8 guys doing a 10K workout while a couple others were doing a 4 mile tempo. I opted for the 10K workout which was (800 at 10K pace, 400 jogging rest, 800 at 5K pace, 400 jogging rest) x 4. Eight 800s total with four at 10K pace and four at 5K pace. We all started at the same time, but the group quickly started to separate as a number of the guys are focused on longer distances and were running slower splits. Adam Pacheck and Michael Carlone said there were looking to do splits between 2:20 - 2:30, so I went along with them. My splits below.

800s at 10K pace: 2:30, 2:32, 2:31, 2:27
800s at 5K pace: 2:21, 2:27, 2:27, 2:24

The rain ended up holding off for the entire night. I never felt a drop. The sun was even out at times. Granted, you could see the thunder clouds off in the distance. With no rain, the workout felt hot and muggy. Temps were in the 80s and the humidity was way up there. Surprisingly, I didn't feel like it effected me as much as usual. Adam was splitting most of the repeats 3 - 4 seconds faster than I was, so I just let him dictate the pace while trying to keep the gap consistent. I got a bit aggressive during the first 5k pace 800, but I settled things down and felt really good throughout the workout.

After the workout, I jogged around the track for a mile with the rest of the team before making my way back to the North End. My stomach wasn't feeling great, but I needed to get a few more miles in for my cool down. I figured that I'd jog to Fenway and grab the T from there or something but, I ended up just jogging all the way back to the North End. I didn't really want to get on the T in running clothes while dripping sweat. Thankfully, my stomach, legs and heel held up well, but I did have to take things very slow. I was also cursing myself for not thinking to bring water to practice. I'll definitely have to do that next time. After 4 miles, I was getting pretty dehydrated, so I swung by Alie's for a quick drink before finally making it back to the North End at about 9:15. Overall, great workout and feeling really upbeat. 13.5 miles on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment