Monday, June 15, 2015

Thursday 6/11/15 - JP Morgan Corporate Challenge

The 2015 Boston edition of the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge was today, and while I wasn't running in it, I did head over to the Boston Common to watch the race. When registration came around in mid-April, I decided not to run because the race date is too close to this year's Market Square Day 10K which is higher in the priority list for me because it is part of the Seacoast Road Race Series

Instead of running, I opted to help organize US Bank's team this year. In 2014, I organized the event as well, but that primarily consisted of me signing up US Bank, registering myself, and letting a co-worker know that he could sign up as well. When registration closed in 2014, we only had 2 members on the US Bank team. JPM later called me and gave us an additional 2 spots because a team requires 4 members haha. This year, I actually worked with our Development Network to drum up some interest in the race. It also helped that US Bank was willing to pay the $50 registration fee up front this year. 

In the hour that the 2015 registration was open, we were able to get 9 members signed up for the US Bank team which meant that we would have two full teams for scoring. It's a far cry from the massive teams that companies like Fidelity are able to put together, but I was happy with our increased participation. 

After work, the team hung out in a conference room and "strategized". Most of the team members aren't serious runners, so we really just sat around talking and enjoyed some yogurt, granola bars, bananas etc. I did go over some tips for the start though. Last year, the other members of the team started too far back because they were worried they would get in the way of other runners. However, with 9,000 people in today's race, starting anywhere in the second half of the massive crowd results in very slow going for anyone looking to run 7:00 - 8:30 pace. 

At 6:30, we started to make our way over to the Boston Common for the 7:15 start. We got to the park just in time to hear the announcer say that my time from last year was the time to beat, and my group did a fair bit of whooping and cheering. At 6:50, I parted ways with the team as they headed towards the starting gates while Alie and I headed over to Comm Ave for a good spectating position. We stayed fairly close to the Boston Public Garden so we would be able to see the runners go passed half a mile into the race and with half a mile to go on the out and back course. In addition to supporting the US Bank team, I was also cheering on Vasilis who would be in the running for the overall win. 

A half mile into the race, there was still a big pack up front, but Vasilis was leading the charge. 


When they came back down the other side of Comm Ave with half a mile to go, you could tell the heat was doing some damage on the runners. There wasn't quite a pack anymore as they were strung out, but the top five were still fairly close together in a single file line with 2 - 3 second gaps. Matthew Hillard looked solid as he went by me though, and based on the results, he must have put in a decent kick over the last half mile for a convincing win. Returning from last year and finishing in the top ten this year were Jason Ayr, Jordan Donnelly, Joe Mcgovern, Ryan Carrara, and Timothy Catoggio. Finishing well in this race two years in a row is no small feat. Vasilis had a tough race and ended up in 11th. He described it as "brutal" haha but seemed to be in good spirits. 

On the women's side, Sara Donahue took the win for the third straight year. She was cruising when she ran by me with half a mile to go, and she actually over took Taryn for the lead just as they both went by me. Taryn managed a "great job" for the passing Sara, but it looked like the heat was getting to her. 

Results below. Full results here

Men

Women




For my own run, I got out for a late 7 miler. Darkness had fallen and the bugs were out, but at least the heat had died down a bit. Kept the pace nice and relaxed as I try to get my legs and heel ready for Market Square Day on Saturday morning. 7 miles in 46:27.



No comments:

Post a Comment