Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Market Square Day 10K - 6/13/15

Coming into the Market Square Day 10K this year was a bit of an odd sensation. I wasn't confident in my own abilities, but I also knew that I had a good chance to place well. With Jim Johnson out due to a stress fracture and Andrew Huebner still recovering from surgery, I figured my competition today would be Jonny Wilson and possibly any new runners to this race. I assumed that Jonny would be back since he finished second here in 2013 and 2014. I knew that if he did show up, I'd be racing for second place. He doesn't seem to have bad races, and with my current fitness, it wouldn't be a close competition. However, I did have a feeling it would be unlikely that we'd see any new faces in the front pack. The Hollis Fast 5K was on Thursday night, and since it was part of the New England Grand Prix, a lot of New England's top runners were there. I thought it was unlikely that many, if any, would want to double up and run this race as well. (Leslie O'Dell proved me wrong on that point as she pulled off the double and ran well at both races)

Alie and I headed over to Portsmouth at 7:30, but a stop for a car wash left us running a bit late. We got into Portsmouth and were parked by 8:20 which would usually be plenty of time to pick up numbers and get ready. However, we had to park about half a mile away from the bib pick up. By the time we had our numbers and had everything ready to go, it was already 8:45.... didn't leave myself nearly enough time. I was slightly more upbeat at this point though. When we had grabbed our numbers, I checked the registration list and saw that Jonny wasn't racing today. That meant I might actually have a shot at a win today. 

Alie made her way back to the starting line while I tried to salvage a quick warm up. This is the closest I have ever cut a race. I did a mile at 6:45 pace then stopped at the car quickly to change into my racing flats before jogging to the start. I made it to the start line at 8:58 just as they were making the last announcements. I barely had time to tie my shoes before Andy said "30 seconds until the start of the race". No stretching or strides. Not a great pre-race. 

My plan was to try to run a more even race this year. In 2013, the front pack sat back at a painfully slow pace for the first 4 miles before Jonny and I finally started racing over the last two miles. In 2014, I went out ridiculously fast while chasing Andrew and Jonny which resulted in me falling apart over the last 3 miles. I was hoping that I might be able to hold a more consistent pace this year, and even though I am no where near as fit as the previous 2 years, I thought I may be able to pull out a similar time, hopefully 32:00 - 32:30. So, my goal was to run the first mile in 5:10,  see how things developed, and try to maintain 5:10 - 5:15.  

I got a good start and fell into 5:10 pace easily. No one tried to pull away which was a good sign, but I was a bit surprised by the crowd around me. I wasn't familiar with one of the runners (turned out to be Jason Dedonato), and it looked like he meant business. The female leader was also going stride for stride with me. I assumed she would fall back after an initial sprint, but she was still right next to me about half a mile into the race when Derrick Hamel joined the group our little group that Jason was leading. I greeted Derrick which sparked up a bit of a conversation. The female leader asked want times people were shooting for. I replied and asked what she was looking to run. When she replied "I'd like to be under 34", I knew it had to be Erica Jesseman which she laughed at and confirmed. Honestly, in that first mile, I thought I might be running with her the whole way. She made it look pretty easy out there despite the heat. 

A minute or two later, we ran by Andy Schachat, and I believe he said "Eric you got this". But with an Eric, an Erica, and a Derrick in the group, it was difficult to tell which one of us he was actually talking about. We joked about it for a second then ended the conversation and got into some racing. Just before the mile, I noticed the pace was fading to 5:15, so I took over the lead and started to spread things out. Hit the first mile mark right at 5:10. 

Lead pack just before the 1 mile mark. Thanks to my sister Jen for the photos

Shortly after the first mile mark, Derrick pulled up along side me with Jason and Erica a few seconds behind us. That was when I started to really notice how hot and humid it was. The temperature was only in the mid 70s, but the sun was beating down with no cloud cover. On my jog to the start line, I noticed that I felt a bit dehydrated, but there wasn't much I could do about it at that point. By the time we hit the first water stop, I realized I would need to grab some water at a couple of these stops which I can't remember ever doing in a 5K or 10K. I didn't go for that first one because Derrick was in between myself and the volunteers, but I knew I'd be in trouble if I didn't grab something from the next one. We split 5:15 for the second mile, and Derrick took over the lead. He was holding 5:15 pace, so I tucked in behind him.

For the next half a mile, I drifted between being just off his shoulder to being a stride or two back. I made sure not to let the gap grow though. Derrick made a similar move in the Redhook Brewery 5K before falling back, and I was hoping today would be the same. However, a shadow of a doubt did cross my mind. After beating him in the Children's Museum 5K and Redhook Brewery 5K, I thought I had the mental edge on him, and I hadn't been all that focused on racing him coming into Market Square Day. He was putting up a good fight though. About 2 and half miles into the race, we came up on a small hill, and I was able to retake the lead without too much extra effort. I focused on trying to create some separation, and by the time I crested the hill, I couldn't hear foot steps anymore. I knew he was still looming though.

As I came down a hill just before the 3rd mile mark, I chanced a glance back as I made my way around a turn. In the early going, I had been going up the small rolling hills that cover this course a bit faster than Derrick was, but he had consistently taken the downhills faster than I had. After looking back and seeing I still had a 30 meter lead after the biggest downhill on the course, I started to gain some confidence. However, that isn't to say I felt great. The heat was getting to me, and the pace had slowed as I split 5:25 for the 3rd mile. Thankfully, there was a water stop right around mile three, and I grabbed a cup to splash over myself.

At that point, I started to reconsider my strategy slightly. A decent time began to feel less and less likely, and it seemed like it may be smart to start worrying more about the win. Derrick was slill hanging tight 30 meters back, but I thought I could hold on to first place if I was able to keep my pace consistent throughout the rest of the way. I wanted to avoid falling apart and make sure I had a bit left in case Derrick made a late move. So, for the forth mile, I focused I holding 5:25 pace and trying to stay relaxed. I split the forth mile in 5:26 and grabbed more water. I drank half and poured the rest over myself. I'm actually not used to drinking while running, and I didn't feel great for a minute or two afterwards. It wasn't a major issue though and passed quickly. For the last two miles, I put all my effort into holding a steady pace, and I felt like I probably didn't have much left in the tank beyond 5:25 pace. 

Derrick seemed to be stalking me for the entire race. It wasn't until the last mile that the gap started to grow to a comfortable distance. When I hit the 6 mile mark, I finally let myself believe that I had secured the win as I started my kick up the last hill towards Strawberry Banke. 





Credit to Ryan O'Leary of Seacoast Online for this photo. He did a great write up on the race here


Interview over the microphone with Andy Schachat after the race. I always feel a bit awkward during these. 

After my interview with Andy, I headed back out on the course to find Alie who was running her first 10K. I found her with about a mile to go and ran with her until the 6 mile mark. She was a bit mad at me because I told her the course was flat when it does indeed have some rollers. She still ended up crushing it though despite having a severely swollen right foot coming into the race!

My good luck charms cheering the runners on. 


Results below. Full results here


1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the win! That double was definitely not my smartest move. Haha. See you at the next one!

    ReplyDelete