Thursday, June 18, 2015

Wednesday 6/17/15 - 8 x 1000 track workout

Vasilis and I headed over to the Charlestown High School track for a workout today. We met up in the North End and jogged over into Charlestown as our warm up. Vasilis switched into spikes (I was already in my Flyknit Ones), we did a few quick drills, and then we got right into the workout. The plan was to run some fairly quick 1000s. Neither of us have had a training partner during a track workout in a while (it had actually been since college for me), and we were both looking to do some faster paces since we had someone to run with. I hadn't done any work below 5 minute pace yet this year, so I was content with trying to dip a bit below 75 second quarters to shake off the rust. The goal going into the workout was to start off around 5 minute pace (3:07 for 1000) and judge the effort from there. Rest was a 200m jog followed by 30 - 45 second standing rest. So, more or less, it was a full rest. Splits below.

1000s - 3:02, 3:03, 3:07, 3:05, 3:03, 3:05, 3:03, 2:52.

We alternated taking the lead every 400 meters, and the first one was mine. There wasn't much wind, but it was nice having someone else leading half the workout so you didn't have to think about the pace the whole time. I got a bit excited on that first 400 which resulted in the first 1000 being a bit quicker than planned. Trying to compensate, I slowed the pace down in the 3rd repeat, but we sped things back up after that to a comfortable zone of 3:03 - 3:05. It was definitely a solid effort, but I didn't feel like I had to go to the well until the final 1000 when we decided to drop the hammer for a bit of fun. We ran at a normal pace for the first 600m and split 1:48, then went pretty much all out over the last 400m for a final quarter of 64.

We were both feeling the effort as we cooled down around Charlestown at ancient marathoner pace. I was hoping for a slightly longer cool down to make up some miles, but I could only manage 2.5. My stomach was beginning to fight me, and I figured there was no reason to push it just to get in some junk miles. Overall, great workout. It felt good to get on the track with another runner and push the effort a bit. 10.25 miles on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment